Upside-Down Toffee Apple Brownies
- 8 Tbsp. butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- scant 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1-1/2 tsp. apple pie spice
- 2 apples, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- TOFFEE APPLE TOPPING (additional ingredients listed below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a shallow 9-inch square baking pan. To make the topping, place scant 1/2 cup light brown sugar and 4 Tbsp. butter in a small saucepan and heat gently, stirring until melted. Pour into the baking pan and arrange one apple (cored and thinly sliced) on top of the caramel mixture.
- To make the brownies, place 8 Tbsp. butter and 1 cup of brown sugar in a large bowl and beat together until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs. Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and apple pie spice - fold into the mixture. Stir in the 2 grated apples and nuts. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until firm and golden. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting onto plate. Cut into squares.