Another great summer dessert recipe.
It is literally stuffed with berries so you could almost even call it breakfast! It’s fairly easy to make and a batch makes six very large shortcakes.
The shortcakes themselves are only mildly sweet. The cream cheese infused whipped cream stirs up fond memories of McHatties’ Devonshire Cream.
They make a lovely presentation as well! The recipe is below.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen unsweetened pitted sweet cherries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups packaged biscuit mix
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cut up
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup half-and-half or whole milk
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 3-oz. package cream cheese, softened and cut up
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Thaw fruit, if frozen. (I used all fresh berries in my batch with the exception of the cherries.) In a large bowl, stir together blueberries, raspberries, cherries, and 1/4 cup granulated sugar; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, stir together biscuit mix, poppy seeds, and 1 teaspoon of the lemon peel. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in center of mixture. Add half-and-half all at once to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Drop dough into six mounds on an ungreased baking sheet; flatten each mound with the back of a spoon until about 3/4-inch thick. Lightly sprinkle each mound with some of the 1 Tablespoon of granulated sugar. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Cool shortcakes on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a chilled medium mixing bowl, beat whipping cream with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks just begin to form. Add cream cheese, powdered sugar, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon lemon peel. Beat until fluffy.
- To serve, split warm shortcakes in half horizontally. Lift off shortcake tops. Place bottoms on a serving platter or in a six shallow dessert dishes. Spoon whipped cream mixture over bottoms. Spoon fruit over whipped cream. Replace tops. Serve immediately.