Took my son and his girlfriend to visit a friend in the hospital yesterday morning. Which led to lunch at Cupcake. And then to an afternoon at the pool.
With extended family.
My son was concerned about being put through the ringer. After all, Auntie Stacey isn’t quiet about such things. Little did he know, she had contacted me a week earlier with a plan she’d hatched. [Do you think it would be okay? Think he can handle it?] I gave her the go-ahead and she went a whistle hunting.
Yes, whistle. Her plan was that if they touched (even an innocent brush of flotation devices in the pool) she was going to blow.
And blow she did, nearly sending the teens into heart failure!
“You were looking at each other far too long.”
“It looked like your feet touched.”
“You are being far too quiet.”
And it didn’t stop there, not quite. She’d also come up with a questionnaire loaded with bizarre, over-the-top questions:
– Do you like Walmart or Target better?
– Would you be willing to take a drug test?
– If you did not like your boyfriend’s mom would you tell him the truth or would you just pretend to like her?
– If your boyfriend’s brother were to make a pass at you while your boyfriend was in the bathroom, would you tell him?
– If you drink coffee, do you prefer Starbucks or Caribou?
– Let’s say your boyfriend were to back up into an object and dent his parent’s car while you guys were on a date and wanted you to go along with his story in telling his parents that “he didn’t know how the dent got there… it was just there when we came out of the movie theater” would you support him and do it?
– Do you eat at least 4 servings of fruits and vegetables per day? If not, would you be willing to start?
– If you and your boyfriend were to get married in the future and have children, would you be willing to let Aunt Stacey name your first child?
Needless to say, the cousins were mortified at the thought of having to undergo such torture in the future. But I must say, this isn’t the first time Stacey has put someone in the hot seat. I’ll be photographing a lovely couple later this week that knows ALL TOO WELL (i.e. their relationship received Stacey’s “approval” after a similar process and the two will soon be married).
Perhaps there’s a method to her madness after all. 🙂