Don’t have a lot of time to cook? Brinner (a.k.a. breakfast dinner) always makes for a quick and satisfying meal. I keep basics on hand (bacon, sausage, flour, baking powder, cream, and eggs) to whip up a number of meals on the fly. Pancakes and waffles are a favorite around here and this recipe for Gingerbread Waffles was a hit.
Made the house smell like I’d been baking all day, a yummy bonus. The printable recipe is below.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Preheat waffle iron and spray lightly with oil.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, brown sugar, baking powder, and spices.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, molasses, and melted butter.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- Pour 3/4 cup batter onto hot waffle iron. Close lid and bake until staem stops and waffle is lightly browned and crisp, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Remove waffle and repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve immediately with toppings of choice.