I first created this advent calendar after seeing something similar on Pinterest a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, there were no instructions so I set out on making my own version. [Click HERE for the original post.]
To create your own advent activity calendar, begin with two 12×12 cardboard inserts from scrapbooking paper packs as your base. Pick up an 8×8 pad of miscellaneous Christmas papers from a local craft store to use for the pockets.
Create 24 pockets using the holiday paper. Cut the paper into 2-3/4×3-3/4-inch rectangles. Cut an additional 24 rectangles in the same size out of white paper as well, to use as backing for your individual pockets. Arrange the Christmas paper rectangles on your two 12×12 boards. Decorate and number them. I used a Cricket machine to cut out numbers in varying sizes and colors but you could also use stickers or type them up on your computer as well.
For the final touches, connect the two 12×12 boards together using coordinating ribbon strips and add a ribbon hanger to the top.
Create 24 inserts for your pockets by cutting down manilla folders to a size that is slightly smaller than the pockets. Use a corner rounder on the edges to help the inserts slide more easily into the pocket.
Use a pen in a coordinating color to write assorted activities on the inserts. Some ideas might include:
1. Christmas in the Village at Dakota City. Click HERE for details.
2. Breakfast with Santa or A Day in the Life of an Elf at Macy’s. Click HERE for more information.
3. Watch a holiday movie and eat popcorn.
4. Fill a holiday stocking with treats and deliver it to someone you don’t know.
5. Write a Christmas letter far off loved ones.
6. Make hot chocolate and stir with candy canes.
7. Make a donation to a local food shelf.
8. Bake treats and deliver them to a neighbor.
Hang your advent activity calendar in a spot that is easily accessible and enjoy!